You know those days when cooking sounds too exhausting and you just want something quick and easy to throw together? WE ALL DO. These bites are perfect for those moments. Made with just 7 simple ingredients (water doesn’t count), these peanut butter brownie bites could not be any easier to make! They come together in about 10 minutes and are gluten-free + vegan.
Not only are the quick to make, but boy oh boy–they are DELICIOUS! Seriously, they’re one of my favorite snacks when I’m in need of some energy and craving something sweet. These bites are a great mixture of carbs, fats, protein, and fiber making them a snack that will last until your next meal. Not to mention they taste like dessert!
The sweetness and stickiness come from Medjool dates: they’re a powerhouse of sweetness, and I’m loving them more and more these days. You can usually find them in the produce section of the grocery store. The dates blend together best when they are soaked in warm water. Depending on the softness of the dates when you buy them, depends on the soaking time. Typically, 5-7 minutes is adequate time to soften the dates. Together the dates, almond flour, cocoa powder, peanut butter, agave, flaxseed meal, and sea salt are mixed together. Then just roll into balls, or press into a small pan if you prefer bars, and get ready to snack.
You can keep them in the fridge for about 1 week, or pop them in the freezer for longer-term storage. These bites store super well in the freezer making them be a snack that will last! After rolling my bites, and eating 1-2 bites (who am I kidding;), I put the rest in a freezer bag & let the freezer do its job. I like the bites fresh after rolling, but I LOVE them most when they’ve sat out of the freezer for about 3 minutes. They’ve got the perfect, dense, brownie-like consistency! These bites can last in the freezer up to 2-4 weeks and will be just as delicious as they were when freshly made.
The good news about these bites is they’re totally customizable! No peanut butter? Sub any other nut butter. Not into chocolate? Omit the cocoa powder and add chia seeds. Never heard of chia seeds? Sub hemp seeds. It’s that easy friends.
I doubt these bites will last too long, especially if you love peanut butter and brownies as much as I do. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Brownie Date Bites | Gluten Free, Vegan
Yields: 18 bites
- 1 cup Honeyville almond flour
- 20 medjool dates, pitted + warm water to soak
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter (can also use peanut butter powder when mixed with water)
- 3 Tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-3 Tbsp water
- Pit 20 medjool dates and soak in warm water until tops are covered. (This step can be skipped if you buy dates already soft enough.)
- Wait 5 minutes and then feel the medjool dates, you want them soft enough they can bend with your hands. Drain water and place dates into the food processor along with the almond flour, cocoa powder, peanut butter, agave, flaxseed meal, and sea salt.
- Process on high until everything is pulverized. You may need to add a few tablespoons of water to the mixture depending on the consistency of the mixture.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough into your hands, roll into a ball, and roll in cocoa powder. Repeat & enjoy immediately or store in airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or freezer for up to 2-4 weeks.