How to Make Almond Flour Recipes for the Keto Diet
If you’re following the keto diet, then it’s likely you’re already acquainted with almond flour. So many people prefer almond flour to other keto-friendly options because of its nutritional content and the ease of substitution. But whether you’re new to the keto scene or an old hand, finding new recipes can be a challenge. So let’s take a look at one of our favorites, and one of the most delicious almond flour recipes around!
If you’ve never tried buttermilk scones, you’re in for a treat! This low carb recipe is filled with flavor, and it’s also pretty simple to make. Let’s take a closer look at what you need:
2-1/2 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
3 tbsp Honeyville Organic Coconut Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp Swerve Sweetener (or another granular sweetener)
1/4 tsp Salt
6 tbsp chilled Butter, diced
1 large Egg
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/2 tsp Lemon Extract
1 tbsp finely grated Lemon Zest
1/2 cup confectioners’ style Swerve Sweetener (or another confectioners’ sweetener)
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 to 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp finely grated Lemon Zest, optional
1. Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a baking pan, or line it with parchment paper if you prefer.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, granular sweetener and salt, before cutting the chilled butter into the dry mixture. Continue cutting until the mixture has a crumbly texture.
4. Next, combine egg, buttermilk, lemon extract, and lemon zest and stir into the dry mixture.
5. Stir until the mixture has a uniform texture and consistency, and then scoop the dough out. It is recommended you use a 3-tablespoon size retractable scoop. Place dough balls onto the prepared baking pan. Be sure to space the dough at least two inches apart to allow for spreading during cook time.
6. For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sweetener, lemon juice, and cream. Add the cream a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency for drizzling. Then set aside.
7. Bake the scones for 15-18 minutes, until the edges are a golden brown. Allow them to cool before drizzling the glaze on top.
How is this Recipe Keto?
As you can see, this recipe is very similar to a traditional scone recipe. The primary difference is in the type of flour and sweetener used. Almond flour offers fewer calories and carbs, and the sweetener used here is much easier for the body to process.
Following a keto diet doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice flavor or dessert. Nor does it mean that you have to follow a complicated recipe. Simply rely on almond flour to help you create delicious recipes, just like this one!