This soup is a homemade combination of two of my favorites soups: Minestrone meet Creamy Tomato Tortellini. It’s hearty, it’s filling, and it's perfect for the cold weather.
Homemade Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup Honeyville freeze dried celery (buy here)
- 1 ½ Tbsp minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 3 (14 oz) cans low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ¼ cups Honeyville freeze dried zucchini (buy here)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (9 oz) pkg. refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 1 (14.5 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- ½ cup half and half
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery, sauté 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sauté 2 minutes longer. Add in chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini, basil oregano, and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until veggies are almost tender.
- Add in tortellini and cook about 7 minutes or until cooked through, then add in kidney beans, spinach, and half and half and cook until warmed through and spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
* * * * *
Hi, I’m Marisa Christensen! A certified personal trainer and soon-to-be Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN). I’m a lover of health, wellness, travel, and happiness sharing my tips and tricks for a balanced lifestyle, and affordable travels. I provide nutrition and fitness services while inspiring you to eat happy, and live fully.